creativity takes courage 42

Mona Pendleton | Sunday, May 3, 2015 @ 1:26 AM | , ,

Hi there! I'm still here ~ just a little busy as I am sure you all are as well. Thanks for taking the time to visit my blog ~ I appreciate the kind comments and support. Many thanks to those who wrote me sweet emails wondering if all is well. We recently moved to a new home and this is what much of my crafting supplies looked like up until last week. sigh...
and this is what my new craft space looked like up until Thursday of last week:
We have been planning on moving for over a year and finally found a house that made the move worth while. Since we are a few months away from being nearly empty nesters, we decided to convert a bedroom into a girly cave for me ;0 Scott insisted on building me a custom desk to create on. The top was a piece of "naked" planked walnut which was delivered via a freight truck. Scott treated the wood with a Danish oil then once we had the desk built, Scott, Tina and I muscled the 200 pound piece in it's final resting place:

This is the biggest project that we have built and everyone had a hand in it! Here is what the cabinets looked like when we started: 
here's the decorative trim, soaking up the stain:
here's several of the decorative korbels that were leftover from the kitchen construction so we put them to good use :)
After I painted everything, dear Angie sanded the doors, drawers and korbels:


Scott found this beautiful piece of imported Italian furniture on Craig's list which was quite the bargain! I think the owner wanted to get rid of it because it is so incredibly heavy!!! Once again, Scott, my dear sister, Tina and I muscled those pieces into a UHAUL truck and brought them home :)
Here it is in it's final resting place, painted and waxed using Annie Sloan products:
Here's another piece of furniture that Scott bought for me nearly a year ago! I don't have an original photo handy but it was a "naked" plain / unfinished Birch wood which I also gave a facelift to using Annie Sloan products. This cabinet is quite large and amazing! It was originally used in the local State University School of Architecture where blueprints were stored. 
Do you remember the Dewey Decimal System???? Kids these days, don't have a clue! Scott bought this beautiful piece for me nearly a year ago as well and it had been sitting in the garage waiting to make it's way into it's new home :)

So that's what I've been spending all my free time doing now I can finally start to create again as I start to get my life unboxed :) Today I have a page in my art journal to share featuring beautiful ColourArte products:
More than a year ago, I took an online face painting course offered by the crazy talented Andrea Gomoll. If you've ever wanted to paint faces, I highly recommend her courses as they are worth EVERY penny! I have no desire to paint portraits by any means but I'm loving the creative process and for me, that's worth it's weight in gold :)
I started painting this page on our road trip home from Los Angeles where we spent the weekend at Connor's college track meet. It was Scott's turn to drive, so I pulled out a few supplies and started to create :)
I added lots of design to the background using various stamps and stencils:
I finished the page off with a Tim Holtz sticker:
For color inspiration, I joined along with the colour me colour challenge: #2 inspiration board.
Thanks so much for visiting ~ I hope you have a great Sunday!
Be Sweet ;) 


ColourArte products used:
Twinkling H20s: Golden Monarch, Blushing Caramel, Terracotta Rose, Almond Beige, Fire & Ice, Bronze Medallion, Summer Breeze, Blue Zircon, Bashful Blue, Nutmeg, Chestnut, Stargazer
Silks Acrylic Glaze: Oyster, Black Ice, Teal Zircon, Watermelon Mist

post signature


 Comments

42 Sweet Comments So Far:

Evelyn Walter said...

Hii dear Mona, yes, I wondered too, where you are gone ;)
Your new girly cage looks AMAZING! And the furnitures you made wowing for real! Looks like much work. Oh, and lucky you to have such a supporting husband <3.
Your journal page is very pretty, I like the bright colors.
Have a nice sunday!
xxx Evelyn

Suzanne C said...

Ohhh your new craft space looks spectacular and well worth the wait! Jealous of those beautiful pieces of furniture you have refinished and created! Beautiful journal page Mona! A Huge congrats on your new home!

Ros Crawford said...

So glad all is well with you ... I loved taking a peek into your home and seeing the work you've been doing! You've some amazing furniture pieces there! Love your journal page too ... her eyes are amazing!

Pamellia said...

Wow, I can't wait to see what it looks like after you put it all together, you have really done an amazing job antiquing all of the furniture pieces! Beautiful journal page Mona, her eyes are just incredible! hugs :)

Samra said...

Dear Mona, I am so happy you are well. It made my day when you stopped by my blog the other day and left me a sweet comment, since I knew then you were OK.
I can tell that your craftroom will be an amazing and classy place to work in...the furniture looks amazing and your refacing of it is quite a mastery!
The journal page looks gorgeous and the eye are my favorite part of this stunner!
Have a great day!

Sherrie K. said...

Shut the front door! OMG, I LOVE, LOVE the furniture! The distressing looks amazing:) Your craft room will look amazing as will your beautiful new home! Your talent is exceptional Mona~you truly have a gift!!
Your journal is gorgeous! Beautiful colors and gorgeous design!
Have a wonderful day my friend!
Sherrie K

Lisa said...

Oh my goodness, I covet your craft room!! Wow, the pieces look amazing!! The distressing is just phenomenal!! It's so my style and I love every piece!! I had a friend who had a cabinet like the one you have that used to hold blueprints and I tried everything I could think of to get her to let me buy it...she never relented :( What a dream space you will have when it's finished!!

Your journal page is absolutely stunning!! I love the colors and the details you added to the background!! The face looks so beautiful!! I bought a book a year ago on how to draw faces and I just couldn't get them to turn out at all. Love, love this!! Have a great day :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

OMG OMG I need a scott in my life, I ADORE and I mean ADORE all your cabinets, what wonderful taste you both have and the transformation is wonderful. I cannot believe that cabinet was in your garage, what a wonderful piece. I have craft room envy and your journal page shows that you are inspired by your new space. You are very lucky and long may you enjoy it. So pleased the move went well. Hugs. Tracy x

Stella said...

So good to hear you are well but...incredibly busy. I love the furniture in your craft room. Quite a job to come this far but is looks stunning!
And your art journal pages are lovely!

Tenia Nelson said...

Awesome creation and I love your crafty furniture!! :)

Sue Marrazzo Fine Art said...

AWESOME desk! thanks for sharing your move, too!
I love the pink and mint colors.

Lisa Elton said...

I think it's good for all of us to take a crafty break. But I'm glad you'll soon be back into the swing of things, I've missed you!! Your journal page is beautiful (as always!) And what a special husband Scott is to find you all of these special pieces for your "girl cave"!! Can't wait to see your completed room. Congrats on your new home too.

Kathy G. said...

Oh my gosh - I'm so envious of the cabinets, especially the card catalog. What an AMAZING job you're doing refinishing. Can't wait to see your room completely finished (are they ever really finished?) hmm. Enjoy.

Dodie said...

Lovely space! What are you planning to do with the card catalog?

Pam said...

Mona, what fabulous finds you have refinished so brilliantly! That card catalog is to die for. Love your gorgeous journal page, too. So happy all is well.

Helen Wallace said...

Oh my goodness - you are a lucky girl to have a special room in which to create. The furniture is gorgeous. Love the drawers especially.

Patty O'Malley said...

How wonderful to have a new home plus a craft room. It is looking gorgeous! Can come and make a room for me, too? lol You'll have to show the finished area when done. Your journal page is beautiful! I can't believe you were able to create that while in a moving vehicle. Amazing!

Inkypinkycraft said...

your new pieces of furniture look wonderful x

Vicki Dutcher said...

You are going to be a HAPPY creator when your cave is totally together - it is so YOU. You got some amazing pieces~

Susan Lankford said...

Well, I WONDERED what happened to you! Good to know all is well! Your new craft spot will be gorgeous....the transformed furniture is so YOU!

Unknown said...

WOW WOW WOW! Well it goes without saying that your card is GORGEOUS but can we also talk about your DIYs??? Sweet mama what a FABulous transformation! Thanks so much for taking the time out to share with us gals at Colour Me...! Sure hope we will see you back again next week for another fun challenge :)

Julia Aston said...

So happy to see you and your gorgeous furniture! what a transformation - that cabinet piece is gigantic and it looks like it fit perfectly on that wall -like it was made for it - how wonderful to have your own dedicated creation space! Your page is so bright and vibrant - love all the white dots and splotches - and your face is lovely! I took a class with Dina Wakley and did miserably - I know I have to keep practicing.....

Paper Profusion said...

Great to hear from your Mona but I am very very jealous!!! All that furniture is the kindof 'I've died and gone to heaven and here's my craftroom' type of furniture! It all looks incredible you lucky lucky girl and your transformational style is impeccable. For the first while though I don't see how you are going to get any work done cause you are going to sit in a swirly chair and just keep looking around and smiling!! I would anyway - maybe for several months! Enjoy it all and best of luck with rest of move. Nicola x

Paper Profusion said...

ps - fantastic page too! Can't you tell I'm totally sidetracked by your furniture! Nicola x

Kathy Bradley said...

Wow, I'm glad all is well in your neck of the woods! And, your journal page is amazing - you always to beautiful work. You have been busy - and your new craft room furnishings are amazing (as is your sweet husband, Scott). You have so much storage in a bright and cheery room to create to your heart's content! Please tell Scott he should be named as husband of the year!! Glad you're back!!

Anonymous said...

Can I say WOW!!! I am green with envy! Everything is gorgeous!!!! Lucky girl!!!! Your drawing is beautiful! Years ago I tole painted and tried my hand at faces....its not pretty!!!

MackieMade Paper Creations said...

Wow! What great pieces of furniture! Pictures please when finished!!!!
Love your journal page. The colors and textures are fantastic!

alexandra s.m. said...

Everything you touch turns to gold!
Love the furniture and the journal!
Good luck with the move!!

Angel Johns said...

love your page!! I've always wanted to do an art journal and this makes the desire even more! Thanks for joining us at Colour Me!

Greta said...

Love seeing a Mona project again--you were missed! Looks like it's worth all the hard work moving & your desk & cabinets are awe-inspiring!

Pauline said...

Wow Mona, those cabinets look amazing!! And very heavy too! Your journal page is beautiful, what a lovely expression on your girl's face, and the colours are so pretty!

Stamping Smiles Designs said...

I've miss you and your lovely projects! So glad you are back! I love your art journal page! Very beautiful! What amazing furniture pieces you've got for your craft room and great color choices for them. LOVE it! Enjoy the rest of your week!

Cheryl W. said...

I can see you have plied your new cabinetry with your artistic talent. It looks beautiful, as does the artwork you shared with us today.

Gale Evans said...

Gorgeous project but I have to say I am floored by your beautiful workspace. Amazing job refinishing that furniture! It looks amazing! Your talent has no bounds! Your hubby is amazing to find all those beautiful pieces too! Please show the finished room when you are done! Swooooon!

Fiona said...

Amazing journal page, Mona! Love these colors and how wonderfully perfect her face is; oh those eyes are magnificent! Speaking of magnificent, that is the perfect way to describe your beautiful furniture in your craftroom! That desk looks like it might be from a designer magazine! All the other pieces are fabulous as well! You can add furniture refinisher extraordinaire to your resume!!!

Carol Reisner said...

Wow, what beautiful furniture! Can't wait to see your finished craft space!

Davi said...

Love your beautiful journal page Mona!! Your new craft room is going to be fabulous with you cool new work table! ! And what a score on the Architect cabinet Im green with envy I have wanted one for SO long ;)

Deb Lewis said...

Amazing art, Mona! Really love the gorgeous color palate and that beautiful face! OMG, your craftroom look incredible! What beautifully finished furniture pieces! Can't believe it wasn't custom made! Just gorgeous!

Petra Swart said...

WOW, Mona, what fantastic furniture you have for your craft room!!! Enjoyed seeing it all and please do post photo's of your new craft room when it's all ready to start crafting!!!
Your journal page is beautiful and I love the sentiment!!!!!
Have a great week!!!!

Petra Swart said...

WOW, Mona, what fantastic furniture you have for your craft room!!! Enjoyed seeing it all and please do post photo's of your new craft room when it's all ready to start crafting!!!
Your journal page is beautiful and I love the sentiment!!!!!
Have a great week!!!!

Denise van Deventer said...

Wow Mona...amazing transformation of your new furniture and can so clearly see that they are now in Mona's style! They fit so perfectly into your scrappying style! Lots of blessings and happiness in your new girly cave and new house! Gorgeous journal page too....you really are an amazing artist! ;-)

Carol McCready said...

Beautiful art journal page.

The furniture redo is amazing. I just love the way it turned out.


Thank you so much for leaving a sweet comment!


 
Cupcake's Creations Copyright © 2010 Prozine - Designed by Lasantha customized by Scott Pendleton for Mona
Banner graphic elements courtesy: House of Three
Home | RSS Feed | Comment RSS